Rest Home (Similar to Assisted Living)
NEHD’s 51-bed rest home is staffed by certified nursing assistants, home health aides and responsible persons who are educated in ASL and Deaf Culture.
All resident rooms are oversized with fully accessible bathrooms furnished with pull cord safety features. Bedrooms also feature flashing doorbells, high-speed internet access and private video phone hookup. The building’s safety and security systems are enhanced with accessible flashing/signaling devices.
The rest home floor is comprised of a large, comfortable activity/recreation room, books, video classics with closed captioning, games, puzzles, multiple videophones, a computer and a TV. The rest home is also home to the Helen Keller Resource Library that houses the latest computer technology and Braille reading materials for residents that are blind and/or low vision.
Amenities and services included in the Rest Home are:
- Three main meals, with seasonal menu changes and daily snacks
- Daily housekeeping and laundry services
- Medication assistance/administration
- Wound care, pain management and first aid
- Blood pressure monitoring and diabetes screening
- Psychiatric consultation and social services
- Wander Guard Security System
- Physical, occupational and food/swallowing therapies
- Interpreting services
- On and off campus outing and activity schedules
Attending physicians, including a medical director and nurse practitioner, work regularly in collaboration with the staff and have an active, ongoing communication that results in exceptional resident care